Monday, November 6, 2017

Do You Ever Make Dog Bread?

Dog Bread

My mother sometimes made bread in a skillet on top of the cookstove and called it "dog bread." Although I have all of her favorite recipes in a recipe book handwritten by her, I don't think that she ever wrote down the recipe for "dog bread."

As I had about 1 1/2 cups of Greek yogurt that was still good but looked like curdled milk after spending 6 months in our freezer here at the Beltway Apartment, I remembered that you could make bread from equal amounts of some milk product and self-rising flour. I found a recipe for pizza crust or pita bread using equal amounts of Greek yogurt and self-rising flour and then frying it up in a lightly olive oiled hot skillet on the top of the stove.

After adding extra flour to keep the sticky dough from gluing my fingers together and flattening small pancake size pieces, I fried up the "dog bread." 


Our dogs are thousands of miles away, but I bet some hummus would be delicious on these bread patties.

5 comments:

Janie Junebug said...

I've never heard of dog bread, but it sounds like what I've seen as Indian bread.

Love,
Janie

NanaDiana said...

LOl- Well, I have heard of MONKEY bread but never heard of DOG bread. It sounds like what my mother called FRIED bread. Don't you love all the different recipes each area has but calls by a different name?

Have a wonderful week- xo Diana

Janneke said...

Hallo Linda, leuk weer iets van je te lezen. Heb nog nooit van dit soort hondenbrood gehoord, maar het klinkt niet slecht. In elk geval beter dan de broodpap die wij vroeger op maandag als dessert aten. Mijn moeder kookte dan van resten wit brood met melk pap, mijn vader noemde dat terecht hondenvoer......
Groeten, Janneke

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Dog bread sounds like something I'd like.

Pierce had a dog birthday cake and a friend was over with his 4 year old. I asked if he wanted dog cake, and he made a disgusted face. He took it literally, lol. I had to explain it didn't actually contain dog - just a picture of a dog!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

No, I have never tried or heard of dog bread...how was it? I have just started making bread and my 2 favorites are a peasant bread and artisan bread, which are very different but bith delicious!