Sunday, October 26, 2014

That is a "Boel"

For the last week I had seen an ad in the local newspaper for a special "Boeldag" at a local horse riding stable. A Dutch "boeldag" is almost always interesting, since there is surely a "heleboel boel" ( lots of junk/someone else's treasures ). 

Yesterday the "boeldag" was to begin at 10:00 a.m. and culminate with an auction at 1:00 p.m. Knowing my hub likes to sleep late, I suggested we go there around 12 noon. We could shop the stalls (I pictured neat little covered stands) and then take a peek at the auction. 

We arrived around 11:30 and to our utter amazement a neighboring mowed cornfield was packed with hundreds of automobiles. We luckily found a parking place near the entrance. 

Many ( and I mean MANY/a "boel") people had finished their shopping and were heading home with paintings, shelves, lampshades, chairs, and plastic bags crammed full of "boel."  First, we walked through a huge indoor arena, and then there it was. More junk and stuff than you could ever imagine!!! And the shoppers were packed in so closely that you could have walked on top of them.


All I could do was laugh. Laugh at myself for even thinking that there would be only a few people here and that there would be neat little stalls.

This wire "caged" in the electronics. Not sure why, since it all looked worthless.

And the furniture left a lot to be desired. But we did buy two white plastic lawn chairs that looked brand new (or at least they were clean!).

Looking back on the junk as I wait for my hub to drive our car around to the back door to pick up his $10 Gazelle bike, our $1 chairs, my 50 cent British Pyrex casserole dish, and my $7.50 vintage Kohler handcrank sewing machine. 

More about the sewing machine later.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ja Linda, een boeldag is iets anders dan een fair of brocante markt waar wel gewoon leuke stalletjes en kraampjes zijn.
Maar je hebt plezier gehad!

Liefs, Gerry

Janie Junebug said...

I couldn't deal with such a crowd. I look forward to reading about the sewing machine.

Love,
Janie

Anonymous said...

That is an amazing sight...all those second hand shoppers.

Janneke said...

Ah, ik ben ook wel eens op een boeldag geweest, maar dat was bij een boerderij, waar ze hoofdzakelijk de machines en het vee verkochten. Wist niet dat ze zo'n rommel verkoop ook 'boeldag' noemen. Haha, dat viel waarschijnlijk wel even tegen, lijkt me niet zo leuk.

Donna Wilkes said...

I do not like to be in crowds this size, but if junk was involved I would make an exception :>)))

Wendy Bellino said...

That's a whole lotta boel!