Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Gone with the Wind--2013

I always feel a little like Scarlet O'Hara when I sit outside on our front veranda on a hot, summer afternoon. Today is no exception. It is lunchtime, and the warm wind is blowing our grapevine canopy so that it actually feels cool.

Our new bench in the yard is being shaded by our gnarled live oak, but I am too lazy to walk out there now. Maybe later.

When the wind dies down, I imagine what it must have been like to live in the South back in the Civil War days.  No air conditioning! No electricity and electric fans! No refrigerators and ice! Lots of woolen clothing for the men and yards and yards of cotton fabric in the antebellum dresses for the ladies.

There were lots of things that weren't too "cool" about the past.

Give me the now. Give me the present.

3 comments:

Hindustanka said...

your house is beautiful! love the ivy... have a nice day and take care! drink more water in these hot days.

Linda said...

That is just one grape plant! And it has a few buches of grapes, which the birds have tested. Yes, the water bottle is close at hand. Thanks

Linda said...

Bunches of grapes