Wednesday, September 5, 2012

This Started Out Titled As Foreman's Boudin! Forget That For Now!

Last evening we had 20 Master Gardeners in our home for "graduation." I heard only one recommendation (to plant another peach tree to pollinate our lonely Feliciana peach). I will heed that suggestion, since we had a grapefruit tree that did not survive last winter's weather. And as my hub loooves peaches, we want our own peaches on our tree.

Since our house is eclectic (lots of gently used furnishings), we got lots of comments and questions inside our house. It is not for nothing that my nieces say our house looks like a museum. Although we love it like it is, in my next life I plan to have minimalist Italian or Danish furnishings. With a lot less DUST!

Being BIG collectors, my hub and I have a story for most of our "things." I hope to begin a chronicle of photos and stories of our unusual collections. In other words, some things need provenance. ( I know, over dose Antiques Roadshow!) As soon as I get through the pies from Just Plain Cooking, I will begin with my Brocante Chronicles.

Now for the icing on the cake, literally. Here are some icing recipes.

Caramel Icing ( Memaw's)

1 cup sugar (browned)
2 cups sugar
1 cup milk
1/2 cup Karo syrup (Golden Syrup in England, by the way)
3/4 stick of margarine or butter
1 teaspoon vanilla

Brown one cup sugar in a heavy pan over medium heat. Stir constantly to prevent burning. Combine 2 cups of sugar, milk, Karo syrup, and butter and add gradually to caramelized sugar. Stir constantly to prevent lumping. Cook to soft ball stage. Remove from heat, add vanilla, and beat until creamy.
Spread onto cake. Good on yellow or white cake.

(If this looks familiar, I published this recipe and Never Fail Creamy Caramel Icing in an earlier blog entry. Please refer to Out of Order published on April 14, 2012.)


.

No comments: