Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Hotel Cake

Back when I worked as the ambassador's secretary at the South Korean Embassy in The Hague, one of my responsibilities was to make coffee for guests and staff. That is really quite hilarious, since I never have been a coffee drinker and would not know a good cup of coffee if I drank it.

Anyway, I made coffee and sometimes served Hotel Cake to visitors of the embassy. Dutch Hotel Cake (or Oma's cake) tastes like American pound cake. I love it! In fact, if I stay in The Netherlands for an extented time, I make sure that I keep Hotel Cake in the freezer.

Many years ago my in-laws were house watching while we were on vacation, and my mother-in-law said she was so glad that I kept Hotel Cake in the freezer. Then she always had a quick treat for coffee visitors, and who knows how many of those she had at our house?

As I can't get Hotel Cake here, maybe I should try the following recipe from Just Plain Cooking.

Old Style Pound Cake ( Memaw's)

2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter
1 1/2 cup sugar
5 eggs
2 tablespoons lemon juice

Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
Grease bottom of loaf pan and lightly flour.
Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.
Cream butter and gradually add sugar, beating all the time.
Beat in eggs one at a time.
Add flour mixture.
Add lemon juice.
Put batter in greased pan and bake about one hour and ten minutes.
Let cool for 10 minutes and remove from pan.

No comments: