Thursday, July 26, 2012

Hide Your Toes

Maybe you should sit on your feet if you don't want me to "step on your toes" with this rant today.

"Silent gratitude isn't much use to anyone." ~G.B. Stern

What happened to good old thank you notes? I know that they are standard supplies for bridal and baby showers, weddings, graduations, and, if you are a true Southerner, dinners at your family, friends, or neighbors.

"Thank you" messages have gone the way of the "bread and butter" hostess gifts. (Google that, if you don't know what that is.)

In the last three years, we have been invited to several weddings, showers, and graduations. An invitation these days usually means "send a gift." I have no problem with the gift part, but a "thank you" would be nice. In fact, a "thank you" is necessary!

Many times receiving a "thank you" message is your only guarantee that the gift got to the person(s) you sent it. Deliveries get lost. Envelopes get misplaced. Who knows what can happen to the gift? If I never receive a "thank you" message, I assume that either the gift was lost or disliked by the receiver. Either way, I do not feel good about giving the gift.

So thank you to all of you who do not practice silent gratitude. And for the rest of you, we can't read your mind!

1 comment:

Linda said...

I hit the 200 mark!!!!!