Sunday, July 8, 2012

Coincidence

It is too much of a coincidence that I should be publishing the following recipe for Banana Nut Bread on this exact date, July 8! According to my notes in Memaw's recipe book, I made this bread on July 8, 2004. As I am not very consequent about writing notes in cookbooks about successful cooking experiences, the date has really thrown me for a loop.

This is what I wrote exactly eight years ago today:
July 8, 2004 Delicious - 6 grain flour. Cooked 1 hr 15 minutes. No mixer. 180 degrees C regular oven.

Banana Nut Bread (Memaw's)

1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
3/4 cup oil
3 tablespoons buttermilk
2 to 3 bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour an 8 1/2 inch X 4 1/2 inch X 2 1/2 inch loaf pan. Set aside.
Sift together flour, soda, and salt. Add sugar, eggs, oil, and buttermilk. Stir to blend. Fold in bananas and nuts.
Pour into prepared pan. Bake 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pan 15 minutes. Turn out onto rack to cool completely.
Makes 1 loaf.

No comments: