Monday, May 7, 2012

A Request for Cookin in de Keuken

Yesterday we had a good family fish fry in my brother MOUF's yard/poolside. Way too much food, and this year the birthday girl (our mom) made her own coconut cake. Yummy!

Today is her birthday, so HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MEMAW!

I am not known as the cook in the family, but I had a couple of polite requests for my cucumber salad recipe. I had almost forgotten what I said I was going to call my own favorite recipes. But Cookin in de Keuken is the name I chose, and I have this recipe to share today:

Cucumber Salad (mine)

4 cups of thinly sliced cukes (I use me Dutch cheese cutter)

If you have time, dejuice the cucumber slices by placing a heavy saucer on top of them in the bowl for a couple of hours in the fridge. Then pour off the excess liquid.

Dressing

1 cup mayo
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup white vinegar (rice wine is good, if you have it)
1/4 teaspoon salt

Mix well and pour over cucumber slices. Let sit for at least one hour in the fridge before serving.

(I use this dressing on cabbage coleslaw, too. I think it is very similar to Memaw's tried and true coleslaw dressing.)

No comments: