Thursday, May 24, 2012

Recipes By Heart

Some of my favorite books are cookbooks. I think it is because I depend so much on the written word to be able to cook.

I can never remember how much of anything in a recipe. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I can't remember numbers.I never learned my cell phone number, and I even have to think twice about our home landline number. I have no idea what our phone number in The Netherlands was. I think it ended with 3306, but even that isn't certain. And no, I don't have early Alzheimer's. I have never been any good at remembering numbers!

So don't tell me a recipe for anything. Please write it or send me a message. I need visuals (words and numerals)!

Memaw, on the other hand, has a good memory of amounts of ingredients in recipes. I heard that one time in Houston she made oatmeal cookies with no recipe. I would have had to use the Quaker box top ( inside) to make those cookies. I have not checked to see if the following Oatmeal Cookie recipe from Just Plain Cooking is the same one as Quakers 's.

Oatmeal Cookies (Memaw's)

1 cup raisins
1 cup water
3/4 cup shortening
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups oatmeal
2 1/2 cups sifted flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 cup chopped nuts

Simmer raisins in water in saucepan over low heat until raisins are plump. (20-30 minutes) Drain raisin liquid into measuring cup. Add enough water to make 1/2 cup. Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Cream shortening, sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Stir in raisin liquid. Sift together flour, baking powder, soda, salt, cinnamon, and cloves. Stir into creamy mixture. Add oats, raisins, and chopped nuts. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls about 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheet. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Makes 6 dozen cookies.


No comments: