Sunday, March 4, 2012

Spring Ahead (next week!)

It is time to.... Aw shucks, is it wash time again? We have been enjoying our Dutch guests so much that I have gotten behind in doing the wash, so today is the day.

Thank goodness that someone invented the washing machine. I can't even imagine how my grandmothers used to have to wash their clothes with washboards! Hanging the clothes outside to dry was the easy part, and I would do that more if I had an outside line. We have one in the barn, but I rarely use it. So our little hook on the wall in the wash space gets filled up fast with shirts and delicates on hangers. Don't iron and never plan to. My ironing board gets moved out of its corner by the washing machine probably twice a year. And then only if I really, really HAVE to iron a shirt or a pair of pants. My hub tells the story that when I iron one of his shirts I put a message on it stating that he is to wear it only for special occasions, and it is a shirt that must be ironed. Actually that is not too far from the truth!

As we will be away for a few days, I still need to get into the veggie garden and set out the marigolds. I have been using them to keep out the "beasts" for a couple of years now. Orange peels also seem to help. I tried pinwheels from Walmart one year, but our hurricane winds beat them up too badly. Now our beagle pees on the raised bed boards, and perhaps that helps. Now to find something ingenious for killing the weeds and grass in the flower and veggie beds!

I made dinner for our family and guests last night. Thanks to the recipes from The Pioneer Woman, Sara Moulton, and my mom (Memaw), I was able to pull it off. We had Ree's pot roast with carrots and onions, Sara's cheese polenta cooked in the oven, sweet potato casserole, cauliflower, rice (had leftover white and brown in the freezer), baby lettuce, artichoke hearts, and tomato salad, Sister Somebody dinner rolls, and Memaw's pecan pie for dessert. I think we brought home enough for our meal today.

Just heard the first washing machine buzzer! Until another time. Don't forget to set your clocks, or maybe you are already late! Daylight savings begins on March 11, 2012.

No comments: