Friday, March 23, 2012

Americans Haven't Found This Place Yet

Today we drove to Peenemunde, Germany. This military test site was one of the most modern technological facilities in the world between 1936 and 1945. The first launch of a missile into space took place here in October 1942. And it wasn't the Americans or the Russians who launched this missile. It was the Germans/Nazis!

Ever heard of Werner Von Braun? Well he had very little difficulties getting a visum for the US after he was caught by the Americans after Peenemunde was discovered. The Yanks knew that he could benefit our technological knowledge, since he had been involved in the V1 and V2 missile projects from Peenemunde.

I am still amazed that there was only one book in English in the souvenir shop, and all of the visitors to the museum were Germans, most our age or a little older. I know this is German history, but I really expected to see some curious Americans there checking out the V1 and V2 missiles and launch platforms. Maybe it is too early in the season? Maybe this is still a big secret. Anyway, it was very interesting to see.

Also very interesting was the miles long row of market stalls as we entered Poland from the eastern border of Germany. You can buy cigarettes, cheap clothes, cheese, and sausage. We by-passed all that and headed straight to the Polish pottery shop. Many years ago some student in The Netherlands gave me a set of four Polish mugs as an end of the year gift. Today I bought an unusual pitcher and a small blue and white creamer for my collection. They do not necessarily match what I already have, but they are what I wanted.

When we returned to our home base this afternoon, we ate a snack and went out to shop. Hub bought a model boat that he had seen while window shopping last night, and I found 12 white pasta bowls by Villeroy and Bosch on sale! Then we found a sturdy lettuce spinner/centrifuge, and I picked up a couple of clothes bargains.

After a dinner of pork and turkey at a "steak" restaurant, we are both worn out and ready to call it a day. Now for one more cup of tea, and that's it for my blog today.


No comments: