Sunday, February 5, 2012

Super Bowl Sunday

I guess you can say I am unpatriotic as you can be on this Sunday, but I am definitely not a Super Bowl fan. In fact, when does it begin? Time to go to the supermarket. It should be quiet there! Actually I am definitely not unpatriotic, but just never been too interested in sports. And playoff kind of games are not my thing. Just ask my guys how interested I am in the World Cup of any sport. So guess you can almost always find me at the grocery store shopping during such events. Before I leave, just a quick plain cooking recipe:

Seafood Gumbo (Memaw's)

2 pounds shrimp
1/2 pint oysters
1 can fresh or frozen crabmeat
2 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons flour
3 cups okra (chopped)
2 onions (chopped)
2 tablespoons oil
1 can tomatoes
2 quarts water
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon salt
3 toes garlic
Red pepper

Peel shrimp uncooked and deveined. Make roux of flour and oil. Add shrimp to this for a few minutes stirring constantly. Set aside. Smother okra and onions in oil. Add tomatoes when okra is nearly cooked. Then add water, bay leaf, garlic, salt, and pepper. Add shrimp and roux to okra mixture. Cover and cook slowly for 15 minutes. Add crabmeat and oysters. Cook for 15 minutes. Serve with rice.

No comments: