Monday, January 23, 2012

Double Dipping Day

Today I am going to "double dip" with Memaw's famous Sweet Roll recipe and a piece of her memories.
Let's begin with Just Plain Cooking:

Memaw's Sweet Roll (Our Memaw, of course)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

1 batch Refrigerator Roll dough (previous blog)
1 stick oleo (margarine) melted
3/4 cup sugar
Cinnamon
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Divide dough into two parts. On a floured board roll each ball of dough into a rectangle about 1/4 inch thick. Generously apply melted butter. Use about 1/2 of the butter. Spread butter over all the dough.

Sprinkle half of sugar over the butter. If you like it really sweet, add more sugar. Now sprinkle on a good coat of cinnamon. Sprinkle with raisins and nuts.

Roll up jellyroll style starting on the long side. Seal all sides. Place long roll on greased baking pan in a crescent shape. Next take scissors and slash 1/2 way through dough starting at one end of roll. Repeat slashes about 1 inch apart all around the roll.

Bake at 400 degrees F for 25 to 30 minutes until done. Brush with melted butter half way through baking.

Glaze with 1 cup powdered sugar, 3 tablespoons milk, and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla. Beat until creamy. Drizzle over rolls.

(Don't wait for the sweet rolls to cool! They are best when warm.)

Memaw's Memories (continued)

I had a bad time with sore throat when I was a kid. Mama would mop my throat with iodine. I really hated that. That was all she knew to do. One time that I remember, I had such a sore throat and it was hot summer. Mama made a pallet on the porch, and I lay out there where it was cooler. Daddy had gone into Moro and when he came back he brought my cousin with him. I cried because I didn’t like her.

I cried a lot. Mama went to the back of the field to look for the cow. There was a wooded area out there and every time she would go into the woods, I’d scream and cry. I climbed up on a chair so I could see her. When she came back to the house, she gave me something to really cry for. She switched me good.

We never got to go anywhere when we were little, so anytime I’d get away from any of the family, I’d start bawling. This would start a chain reaction and my nearest younger sister would cry, too. I must have driven my two oldest sisters crazy with all the bawling. Mama made my little sister and me some cute little pinafore dresses out of yellow dimity. They had little flowers and were so pretty. It was children’s day at church, and we were supposed to sit on the front row at church. I looked around and didn’t see any of the family and started crying. And when I cried, my little sister cried. Everyone was saying, “What’s the matter, little girl?” Bet I got another switching when I got home.

When I got old enough to go to school, this was during the Depression. There was no public school at Moro. The school had gone broke, and we couldn’t pay tuition to go to school. The public school was closed for two years. My two oldest sisters taught me how to read and write. I was 8 years old when I finally went to school. Since I could read and write, I didn’t have to go to the first grade. I was a big second grader. I tried so hard to get Miss Eileen Reynolds to pass me to the third grade, but she wouldn’t.

Stay tuned for more recipes and memories.

No comments: