Thursday, January 12, 2012

Just Plain Cooking

Back in 1990, Mom hand wrote a cookbook for me. She wrote the following: "All these recipes have been tested in my kitchen and are special to me. They are just plain cooking. Cooking requires a lot of time, a lot of patience, and plenty of love for special people who like good food." From now on whenever I publish one of her recipes from my cookbook, the title will be Just Plain Cooking . So let's turn on the stove and start with the breads!

Self-Rising Biscuits (Memaw's)

Set oven on 475 degrees F.

2 cups self-rising flour
1/4 cup shortening
3/4 cup milk

Cut shortening into flour. Add milk to make a soft dough. Place on floured board and roll out to 3/8 inch thick. Cut with biscuit cutter and place on greased pan.
Bake at 475 degrees F for about 10 minutes or until brown. Serve while hot.

Now here is my favorite biscuit recipe in 2012:

7UP Biscuits


2 cups Bisquick

1/2 cup sour cream

1/2 cup 7UP

1/4 cup melted butter


Cut sour cream into biscuit mix, add 7UP. Makes a very soft dough.

Sprinkle additional biscuit mix on board or table and pat dough out. Melt 1/4 cup butter in a 9 inch square pan. Place cut biscuits in pan and bake at 450 degrees until golden brown( around 12 minutes).


www.plainchicken.blogspot.com


(I make the 7UP biscuits a couple of times each week. One time I had no 7UP and used ginger ale. The biscuits were great! Yoghurt substituted for sour cream works, too. Some people think these taste like Popeye's, but to me they are not as greasy or as heavy. In other words, they are a whole lot better!)

No comments: